Friday, August 03, 2007

The Google Phone!

Engaget has been spouting off rumors of a "gPhone" for quite some time now, but recently, it seems to be getting a bit more specific. Enough that I'm seriously intrigued now.

But, as usual, it comes with reservations. Mostly from the last couple of lines from this article...

HTC is being tapped to build a Linux-based Gphone to be launched on T-Mobile in the US in early 2008, with Orange getting the exclusive in France and other countries. Anian also says Google has been in talks with Verizon and AT&T, and that Verizon has already shot the big G down -- much like it did with Apple and the iPhone.


...already shot it down, did you Verizon? Seriously? That's the way you want to play?

With the exception of one or two LG phones, Verizon has the worst phone choices on the planet. I recently had to find myself a new one, after my current 2 year contract had run out, and there are slim pickin's, let me tell you. So, if Google comes up with a winner of a handset (which I'm confident they'll do, despite rumors of having to listen to ads before you make your call in exchange for free cell service...I find that hard to believe...) I'm thinkin' it may be time to give up on Verizon.

So, all that having been said, I guess what my rambling comes down to is that I'm intrigued. I'm a total Google whore, and I probably spend at least half of my web-surfing time in some Google-built application or site. So, when I hear that they may finally save me from my boring ol' cell phone, I can't help but perk up and listen. And get just a bit excited.

No comments: