Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Candidates and How They Will Affect Your Taxes

An article popped up on my iGoogle page a few days ago, titled "How McCain and Obama Will Change Your Tax Bill" I'm instantly interested, because the main argument of conservatives is that they don't want another "tax and spend Democrat" stealing all the money from their pockets. Yet, from what I understood of the candidates tax policies, it sounds to me like Obama will benefit 98% or the population, while McCains will only really benefit the top 2%. It turns out that isn't far from the truth.

The most intriguing aspects of the plans are clearly laid out in the table to the right. I don't understand how the American public has fallen for the claims of the conservatives. Everyone below $112,000 per year will do better under the Obama plan than under McCain plan. That's around 90% of the US. Those who would benefit the most are those below $66,000 dollars...those who need that money the most.

The Republicans can't even use the argument that the Democratic plan will increase the deficit...true, Barack's plan will increase the national debt by $3.3 trillion over ten years. But McCain's will increase the debt by $4.5 trillion. All so that the members of our society who need the money the least won't have to pay as much each year.

I don't understand the logic. Is this simply pandering to those in our society who hold the most power? Do the Republicans get something in return for what appears to be such selfish and elitist tax policies?

I understand that this study is fairly simple, in terms of overall economic policy in each campaign. McCain's camp claims that his fight against earmarks and rampant government spending will reign in the deficit numbers. Yet, that still doesn't explain how giving money back to the people who need it least will improve the economy. I'm sorry, I just don't see the gains claimed by trickle-down economics. (Maybe someone can show me a site that refutes that?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a registered independent who has voted for the republican ticket all my adult life. I am amazed at the lies coming out of the McCain campaign about Obama's tax plan. McCain may be an American hero, representing the best of America's past, but Obama represents the hope of our future. I support Obama for President.