Wednesday, April 30, 2008

She Branded me with Science!

Ok, this was just too cool, and I had to post about it. It's a website, ok? Filled with tattoos....but not just ANY tattoos!? Oh nO! They are tattoo's that are all science themed.

For example, here you got yer basic tattoo of glycolipid A:



Which is followed by this caption:

A biochemist writes, "Here is a picture of my science tattoo, which is a stylized structure of glycolipid A, the preformed glycolipid membrane anchor precursor I discovered as a graduate student some 20 years ago. At that time, membrane proteins that were anchored via glycolipids, rather than transmembrane protein domains, had just been found and this was the first precursor to be reported. The structure is simplified but basically correct, although considerable artistic license has been taken with bond lengths and angles."

...I KNOW, right?! How freaking sweet is that?! Check this one out:



You know what that one is? It's a glottal stop. The symbol for the sound you make when "stop the airflow by pressing your vocal cords together, build up pressure from the lungs, and then release the vocal cords with an audible burst."

I mean, the site if FILLED with them!

To be honest, I've always wanted a tattoo, but never really felt strongly enough about anything that I wanted it to remain burnt into my skin for the duration of my life. But these people are freaking awesome. They've found their thing, they love it, and they have stained their skin with the weirdest crap ever. I wish I was one billionth as cool as this guy:



Do you know what that is? It's the atomic symbol for testosterone.

Rock on science freaks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to get one, but I'm going to get my whole inside organs and muscles tattoed on my body in honor of the most underrated kids show character of the 70s and 80s, Slim Goodbody.