Sunday, May 04, 2008

Iron Man Review! (spoiler free)


I watched Iron Man tonight thinking, "Jon Freaking FAVREAU made this?!" Seriously, who knew that all along, all we had to do was ask Mikey, and he would make the ultimate superhero movie (you're money, baby!)

So, you read right...ultimate superhero movie. I guess it makes sense. Iron Man is MADE to be put on screen. Nothing looks better CGI'd than a robot. And Tony Stark has always been written to be a super charismatic bastard...who would be more fun to bring to the screen?

But forget all that. It's pretty easy to see why this film worked. Robert Downey Jr NAILED it. You can say what you want about how he could draw on his experience with addiction and blah, blah, blah...but no. Downey was a movie star in the very best sense of the word. He was up on screen, bigger than life, yet believable, and obviously having the time of his life.

Then, there was the story. It was simple. They didn't try and over-explain. It only contained what was needed to tell the tale they set out to tell. Too many times, superhero movies fall in love with what they can do and forget that there has to be a decent story to back it up. Not this time.

I realize I'm babbling a bit, but this is the babble of love. I love this movie, and while I'm a little sad to see X-Men 2 knocked out of the top spot for best superhero movie ever, I'm totally jazzed that Iron Man was such a success. I only hope that people aren't upset when they hit the comic shops next week, hoping to check out the Tony Stark they saw in the movie, and instead they find...whatever the hell they're doing to Iron Man in the comics recently. I mean, he's had a mental breakdown in his own book, he's started a superhero civil war, he's the new director of SHIELD...not a good time for him to get popular in the cinema. (God, if only a good Daredevil movie was out right now...THERE'S a book people would love after picking up a few issues!)

PS - stick around to the end of the credits! Great moment, especially for fans of the comics!!!!

3 comments:

Michael said...

I missed the thing at the end... What happened?

I agree that the movie was Great. But Batman Begins still gets my vote as best ever.

Jose said...

After that raving review, I have to see the movie.

Congratulations on the professional front, man. Email me details.

-Jose

Troy said...

Batman Begins is in the top 3, for sure, and I'll bet you anything that "The Dark Knight" wins hands down. God, I can't wait for that film.

As for the thing that happened after the credits...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UBg3ePkYYE

Jose, how did you hear? Has Chad spilt the beans? =)